Friday, January 20, 2012

Eddie Curry Returns

In desperate need of help to resume his career, Curry returned to his hometown of Chicago to work with trainer Tim Grover. The Heat became intrigued last March and brought Curry to Miami for a workout, but he still weighed close to 350. After the lockout ended, he signed a one-year, veteran’s minimum deal paying him $1.3 million for this season. Curry on the first day of the Heat's training camp this season, says he's since lost about another 35 pounds. Curry began training camp weighing around 330 pounds. A hip injury delayed his debut even further, but he was able to lose another 35 pounds. Now 29, Curry said he’s in his best shape since he was drafted. “I worked hard this offseason,” Curry said. “I got hurt in training camp, but I guess it was a blessing in disguise because I got to get with the strength-and-conditioning staff and medical staff and really get right. I’m feeling good. This is the lightest I’ve been in a long, long time.” Curry could give the Heat some needed size – provided he can stay in shape and stay on the court. “I just want to see him healthy,” Dwyane Wade said. “He’s a very talented guy. When healthy, there are not many people that can do what he can do. He’s been doing a good job with our staff of working his tail off to give himself a shot to get on the floor. We’re excited about the opportunity.” Curry is focusing only on the future and is confident he can still revive his career. “Afterwards, if everything goes how I want it to go and how we want it to go, maybe I’ll look back and say, ‘Wow, that was pretty crazy,’ ” he said. “Right now I’m looking at it as, I worked my tail off and I deserve to be out there, and I will be out there and make an impact.” Curry had been sidelined for more than two years with weight and conditioning problems that, at their worst, pushed the 6-foot-10 center to close to 400 pounds. He last played on Dec. 17, 2009, until Thursday. “It was humbling, I guess, sitting back not playing, wanting to be there for one reason or another and not being able to be out there,” Curry said recently. “I look at it as a second chance and an opportunity to right this ship.” In Thursday’s game against the Los Angeles Lakers, he totaled six points and three rebounds in six minutes.

No comments: