Monday, January 09, 2012

Romeo Crennel KC Head Coach

The Chiefs announced Monday that Romeo Crennel was the official replacement for the fired Todd Haley, removing the interim tag. Going 2-1 and stunning then-undefeated Green Bay as Kansas City’s interim head coach was more than gratification for Romeo Crennel. “The three games had a lot to do with where we arrived at this decision,” general manager Scott Pioli said. “Some of the things we saw was a great deal of accountability and consistency. There was also a different energy to the football team. A lot of it had to do with those last three games.” He was always considered the front-runner to replace Haley, even though Pioli said he interviewed “more than half a dozen” candidates. The 64-year-old Crennel is often called a “players’ coach”, “I’m not exactly sure what a player’s coach is,” Crennel said. “Sometimes I think players think that a coach who is on their side is a player’s coach, who always rules in favor of them may be a players’ coach. I know that’s not always the case with me. I think that basically, I’m a good guy. And I think this is what players appreciate—players appreciate honesty. Players appreciate you telling them like it is. They don’t always want to hear it. But that’s what they appreciate. I try to tell them what I believe, what I feel and how I think it should be done.” He was fired after four years as head coach in Cleveland with a 24-40 record.

No comments: